A better day...
Today was a far better day...
I kind of processed what I felt like was something of a set-back in terms of prioritizing what matters in schools that happened in my school, recently...
And I was feeling better...first of all...
But more than that...
One of my kids...that just got out of a long term discipline situation...who was really difficult, behaviorally, in that discipline situation...has just come back to class this week...
And today...he was on fire...
He's not only the best behaved student in class...
He's figuring out the fraction work we're doing better than anyone in class...including the students who are the traditional leads in class...
I make a point of it in class...how's he's the new star of the class...
Because you got to understand...
This is a kid who -- because of behavior -- has likely never been the star kid in any class...
And today...he was on fire...
It was one of the most inspiring moments I've had as a teacher...
Like I said...you'd just have to know how this kid behaved before he joined our class...from persistently defiant...to the best behaved kid in class...
My philosophy in dealing with students...
You are responsible for your behavior...and I am responsible for mine...
And I am just here to remind you to be responsible for your behavior...
And this kid...has stepped up to that expectation...rather than me stepping down to his lower expectations of himself...
And it's inspiring to watch it happen:):):)...
Also...today my team was out for an inservice training in the process for deciding if a student needs an individualized education program...
So I'm collaborating with substitute teachers, all day, to be the only behavioral check that kids have, in the room, who has seen them consistently, for awhile, now...so no getting over on the substitute...
And the stark contrast between my class...who have behaved very well for substitutes...which is the consistent feedback I've gotten at this point...and kids in other classes...tells me that my class running itself very smoothly...
And that's how a class should work...
Students...children...should, as much as possible, be responsible for their own behavior...and teachers...or parents...or other adults...should just be grown-ups in the vicinity to remind them to be responsible for themselves...as well as to lead the class or the activities, of course...
And my experience, today, confirmed for me that we have been very successful in my class -- Ms. Simmons, my paraprofessional, and I -- in facilitating and teaching and preparing kids to be responsible for themselves...even if I'm not in the room...
Very inspiring stuff...
And the best part of all...
My class is the special education class, remember...
My class is the class where well over 50% of my students are there because of serious enough behavior problems that it got them taken out of general education classes...
I'm very proud...of my efforts...of the kids' efforts...of Ms. Simmon's efforts...of all of our efforts...and all in such a short amount of time (I've only been here since November, remember)...
The conflict I had two days ago is since resolved...far less ideally than I would want...but better than where we started...
And I've made my peace with the compromise...
And in the meantime...I have no doubts about my teaching abilities, at this point...I know I'm young...I know it's only two months into my career...
But I have far beyond proven my abilities at this point...
Did I mention that I fuckin' love my principal, who is as much responsible for my success as anyone else in the building...whose support I could not have been this successful without...who's love and support and keen, smart, street-wise and world-wise mind I could not have done this well without...
Freda Ogburn is, by far, the most impressive principal that I have ever worked with in my entire life...she's a Ph.D...she takes learning seriously...she cares so deeply about these kids so many years after she started teaching...without a hint of cynicism at all, really (it's really pretty remarkable)...she's sweet and sensitive and vulnerable...in public, no less...all of this...and if she was single, I would have asked her out long before writing this...she's really incredible...and it's an honor to work with her, really...on top of all that, she's really attractive...she's probably in her late 40's, early 50's...and she is gorgeous...like a serious hottie...some people just have it all...doesn't it make you sick?:):):):):)LOL:):):):):)...she's incredible...
Freda Ogburn is the first principal in my life (and I've had some good ones...Keith Wilson at Jardine-Edison Junior Academy in Wichita, Kansas comes to mind...as does Michelle Whooten at BRIDGES, a last-stop alternative school in Kansas City, Kansas)...Freda is the first principal...to plant the seed in my own mind...of perhaps wanting to be a principal, one day...I've never, ever, in my entire life, had that impulse before...and Freda is the first person to inspire me in that direction...a direction I just may end up taking before I become a researcher and professor...or maybe while...who knows what might be possible (given real time and responsibility restraints, of course)...
That really says something to me about a principal...because I've never had one, ever, as a student or as a teacher...who I so admired...
And who has taught me so much:):)...
God I fuckin' love this work:):):)...
Now I just need someone to share this life with:):):)...
Whoever she is...
I hope to never again make a woman sorry for committing her life with mine...ever again...
I hope to earn the love and trust of someone like Freda...but single:):):)...she is my new gold standard for a woman that I admire:):):)...
I wonder if she realizes just how much I respect her...
I've got to plan some classes:):):)...
Have a great day, everyone:):):)...
Love,
Ben


No comments:
Post a Comment