Sunday, July 08, 2007

Maybe I care about politics and this war too much

I was little down this 4th of July.

OK, I was a lot down. I didn't go out with friends that I made plans with. And I didn't even watch fireworks, this year, by the river here in Lawrence, an annual tradition.

The kind of down I was feeling is supposed to happen around Christmas or Thanksgiving for most people, usually due to some unresolved but painful relationship in their families or their lives.

I was down for a different reason. I was down, largely, because I've just been so disappointed with the democratic conversation over the course of this war.

I'm not disappointed because so many people are involved, which I think is a good thing and a promising sign of progress that the internet, especially, has offered so many people a more engaging opportunity to take part in serious, deeply considered thought and discussion and debate on all of the issues of the day, especially the war.

What I've been disappointed with is just how narrow and partisan and fruitlessly vitriolic the discussion has been. How it has focussed on personalities rather than policies. How it has gotten lost in pressure politics rather than more thoughtful discussion. How so many of the even the most responsible people - the activists, the journalists, the politicians, and even too many of the scholars - have gotten lost in partisan or far too homogenous outlooks on the war rather than engaging in more serious thought and discussion about how, if we are going to facilitate a successful transition to democracy for Iraqis, that might be done.

Frederick Kagan, to my mind, has had the most consistently knowledgeable, wise, and thoroughly analyzed political and military perspective that I have encountered, thusfar.

But too much of this all-too-important discussion - which holds in the balance many Iraqi and American lives - has gotten lost in a less thoughtful discussion of how much patience Americans will have for this war rather than the more important discussion of how much patience Americans should have for the sake of the security and democratic future of an Iraqi people who did not ask for an invasion that has seriously disrupted their country.

I hope, I can only hope - and talk, and write, and do everything I can to persuade folks - that we will make our decisions in Iraq based on a genuine commitment to the Iraqis and American soldiers, with a commitment to thoroughly and rigorously and deeply engaged policy thought and discussion, and with a commitment to making good on what we initiated, here (all of us; I didn't even favor this godforesaken war going in, but I know better than to think that just pulling out with solve all the problems we need and want resolved) rather than based on expedience and weariness with the war and with the debate and with the politics and with all of the very strong feelings that everyone legitimately brings to the table on this war.

I've felt that more thoughtful, engaged discussion get overwhelmed, in the last few months, by a war weariness and a pressure politics that seems to blind too many of us to all of the options that we need to explore to handle this situation we've created in Iraq with integrity and not just yet one more political reaction substituted for more serious political thought.

And this 4th of July, I was just feeling kind of discouraged, I suppose, that a more engaged discussion of what might and what needs to happen in Iraq is getting overwhelmed by a much more crass political discussion of what people will support, independent of what the Iraqi people need.

The America I love is bigger than that. And I want it to be bigger than that. But I've been feeling kind of discouraged, lately, that it will be bigger than that, even with so many Iraqis and American soldiers risking and sacraficing their lives for the chance of a democratic, free, and secure Iraq.

I love my country. But it's been disappointing me, here, lately, I've got to admit. People feel overwhelmed, I know, by all of the information and ideas and perspectives and pressure and so much that makes it very difficult to engage this Iraq war discussion without wanting to bow out quickly from the discussion nevertheless the war.

But the stakes are just too high to take our convenience more seriously than our responsibilities and, most importantly, our responsibility to engage in a broad, open-minded, open-hearted, serious discussion of policy alternatives that focus on empirical arguments about what can be done and do not get lost partisan vitriol that has been crippling this discussion, lately.

All of this is evidence that I probably care too much about politics, I suppose. I probably should have been out watching the fireworks and loving America with my friends, this 4th. But I just didn't have the energy, feeling kind of down and disappointed with the state of the democratic discussion about this war and so many issues, this period.

I probably need a better hobby. And to learn to go hang out with friends, even if I'm not in tip-top shape. I didn't even make it down to talk with my uncles who I am sure would be pleased as punch to know that their nephew, who for the bulk of their lives has the been the young liberal kid haranguing them about racism and the environment and every issue that a young liberal kid cares about, is passionately committed to sticking it through in Iraq and getting out the case by the best minds about how and why we must create enough security in Iraq for a political settlement to be reached and for the Iraqi military and law enforcement to feel prepared and confident and comfortable with their role securing the country with minimal American military support.

I promise to have a better 4th of July, next year. But this year, I just needed the time to think and reflect and process it all, I suppose.

Let's hope the next 4th of July brings a lot more news of positive developments in Iraq and an America looking more ready to live up to its ideals and engaging with more honest and genuine concern and appreciation for the efforts of everyone involved - politicians included - rather than live down to its reactions of the moment.

Happy 4th of July, everyone.

Love,
Ben

2 comments:

Kenny said...

Hey Ben, if it makes you feel any better I never have a great 4th. The pseudo/blind "patriotism" on display drives me batty. I just don't understand the mindset of I'm being a proud American by spending hundreds even thousands of dollars on Chinese fireworks. And most people, if they would be honest with themselves, it's not about patriotism, it's about firepower and showing up your neighbor.

Not where your glumness is coming from I know, but it's where I am every 4th.

Now, more along the central point of your post. When you say that the discussion has become focused on personalities rather than policies I've got to say that when the personalities setting those policies into action are so out of whack don't you have to focus on them a bit.

Not that the Democrats get to skate on the issue with me. Come on they got handed the majority and what have they done with it that's actually substantial and worthwhile. They got handed a mandate, a word the President used around his squeaker of a win, and they aren't willing to actually stand up to him. Or even come up with viable alternatives to the situations facing us.

Anyway my point is that when the personalities making the policies are so far out of line with reality and how a democracy should go about its business you have to stoop (not sink past) to their level just to be heard.

Probably doesn't make much sense I'm kinda winging it here. Not putting nearly enough thought into it. But I hope you get my drift.

Ben Sutherland said...

No, I totally get your drift, Kenny.

I think you're right. In fact, it's funny, because I just spent a good long time discussing the various personalities of Presidential candidates and personal strengths and weaknesses with a good friend of mine whose instincts would, likely, be generally like mine, meaning policies matter more than personalities.

So, you're right. Personalities and personal strengths and weaknesses definitely matter.

I guess what's driving me crazy, right now, Kenny, is that so much of the current discussion is being driven not even just by what we hate but who we hate rather than what really should matter which is which policies we think might get us to higher ground.

Bobby Kennedy has a really great speech at the end of the movie, Bobby, Kenny, that really gets to the heart of the problem, I think.

He talks about how we learn to hate or treat people as enemies those who disagree with us or are different from us and how this often leads us to want to master one another rather than treat one another as friends and neighbors and people decent and independent in our own right. We get so lost in how right we're all sure that we are that we lose track of the differences as a function of different experiences, reflections, thoughts, discussions, ideas encountered and imagined, etc.

We start to think of one another as opponents or enemies rather than people with different perspectives with whom to discuss different ideas to get to better solutions and ways of thinking about our problems.

That's the central problem I have with the current political era. On every political question, people keep talking and engaging one another and pressuring one another and forcing one another's hands in ways that seems to presume that they have more answers to the problems we face than they really do.

And the issue that matters most to me, right now, just because so many lives and so many serious stakes hang in the balance is this war.

I've not read and I am certainly not the person who has figured everything out that needs to be figured out about how to handle this war better. I have read folks who have different ideas that are better able to help with different issues. I've read people I trust more to be most and reliably thoughtful about the merits of this discussion - the policy merits, the military merits, and every other discussion relevant to this war - but none of them has a monopoly on wisdom about how to make things better.

And yet so many people - activists and journalists and politicians, especially, but also a lot of average citizens - despite the fact that the most learned, experienced, and generally knowledgeable and wise people I know around issues for this war have no monopoly - there are so many people who are acting as if they do without nearly the background (Frederick Kagan, for instance, clearly has a much more substantial, credible, and impressive military background than do I do, if you read his stuff, as do many military folks and writers that I read) and so much of the political activity, right now, seems driven by the whims of so many folks - left and right - with so little of that understanding instead of a more engaged discussion by at least the most learned and experienced and politically decisive peoples where the questions and options around what we should do - which are plentiful when we take the time to think about them - are taken more seriously than just what is politically expedient for the moment, which seems to have driven far too many of the decisions around this war, already.

Political expediency got us into this war, as everyone put their fingers to the wind to find out what everyone else wanted rather than seriously thinking and engaging about what our best options might be, and political expediency seems to threaten to pull us out, in the same way, without nearly enough thought about what the consequences will be for doing so beyond just satisfying our war weariness.

It's the most frustrating and tragic feature of politics, Kenny, that so many decisions that affect the lives of so many people are made on the basis of who is pressuring for what or what is popular in the moment rather than a more thoughtful reflection and engaged discussion about what the best policy options available might be, which are not always even within reach of the most seriously thoughtful people on these issues, but which are within their grasp more readily than they are the rest of us.

You're completely right, Kenny. The personalities and strengths and weaknesses and frustrations that people have with how this thing was engaged in the first place are all relevant.

I just don't want Iraqis and Americans to die unnecessarily because we're pissed off with George Bush or Harry Reid or whomever people happen to be pissed off at. It drives far too much politics and far too many of the important policy choices we face. And it's all worthless to the substance of the discussion, "What we do with this situation?" And, in this case, "How do we keep as many people as possible from dying unecessarily?"

I guess it's kind of complex, huh? I just think the stakes are too high to not expect better from ourselves.

Hope life is well, Kenny. We're in the same city, so we'll have to find some time and hang out at some point, Kenny:). Tell Nikki and the kids hi for me:).

Love,
Ben