Wednesday, February 27, 2008

That's what I'm talking about

Finally, some goddamn substantive debate.

McCain, Obama tilt over al-Queda in Iraq

That's what I've been waiting for, motherfuckers.

"'I have some news. Al-Qaida is in Iraq. It's called `al-Qaida in Iraq,'' McCain told a crowd in Tyler, Texas, drawing laughter at Obama's expense. He said Obama's statement was 'pretty remarkable,'

Obama quickly answered back while campaigning in Ohio. 'I do know that al-Qaida is in Iraq and that's why I have said we should continue to strike al-Qaida targets,' he told a rally at Ohio State University in Columbus.

'But I have some news for John McCain,' Obama added. 'There was no such thing as al-Qaida in Iraq until George Bush and John McCain decided to invade Iraq. ... They took their eye off the people who were responsible for 9/11 and that would be al-Qaida in Afghanistan, that is stronger now than at any time since 2001.'"

Ah, the smell of honest debate. It's like hickory smoke on Kansas plain. Makes the mouth water.

And the debate goes on:

"Obama said he intended to withdraw U.S. forces from Iraq 'so we actually start going after al-Qaida in Afghanistan and in the hills of Pakistan like we should have been doing in the first place.'

While he praised McCain as a war hero and saluted his service to the country, Obama said the Arizona Republican was 'tied to the politics of the past. We are about policies of the future.'

Noting that McCain likes to tell audiences that he'd follow Osama bin Laden to the 'gates of hell' to catch him, Obama taunted: 'All he (McCain) has done is to follow George Bush into a misguided war in Iraq.'

McCain said he had not watched Tuesday night's Democratic presidential debate but was told of Obama's response when asked if as president he would reserve the right to send U.S. troops back into Iraq to quell an insurrection or civil war.

Obama did not say whether he'd send troops but responded: 'As commander in chief, I will always reserve the right to make sure that we are looking out for American interests. And if al-Qaida is forming a base in Iraq, then we will have to act in a way that secures the American homeland and our interests abroad.'

On Wednesday, Obama expanded slightly that he 'would always reserve the right to go in and strike al-Qaida if they were in Iraq' without detailing what kind of strike that might be — air, ground or both.

Throughout the primary season, McCain has repeatedly attacked Obama and Clinton for saying they would withdraw troops from Iraq.

'And my friends, if we left, they (al-Qaida) wouldn't be establishing a base,' McCain said Wednesday. 'They'd be taking a country, and I'm not going to allow that to happen, my friends. I will not surrender. I will not surrender to al-Qaida.'

He said that withdrawing troops would be 'waving the white flag.'"

And if you needed any clearer indication that Hillary Clinton, if she only had the n'oyve, would not add much to this discussion, here's a reminder:

"In the debate, Clinton did not answer the question about re-invasion of Iraq on grounds it contained 'lots of different hypothetical assessments.'"

Does Hillary Clinton every know what she fuckin' thinks about anything in this war? Or is she always merely a dupe and an agnostic?

Do you really want such a person to be your President?

If you do, you fuckin' deserve her.

I have to say that if Obama keeps talking the way he does and he can't begin to acknowledge the need to support the Iraqis until they give the clear signal that they do not need our help anymore or else give a stronger argument for why we should leave than I have heard to date, I will be voting for John McCain, at this point, in the election.

Obama better start putting that big thinking cap of his on and either convince me that staying is wrong - which he is far from doing, at this point - or figuring out how to break it to Democrats that he's going to stay until the Iraqis say they are ready for us to leave or I will be making my most confident vote for a Republican Presidential candidate in my lifetime.

Put that Havard education to use, Barack. You too, John.

The country is fuckin' counting on you.

No comments: