Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Colin Powell steppin' out of the cave

This is why I respect the shit out of Colin Powell.

Powell Praises Obama, Fears Afghanistan Growing 'More Difficult' Than Iraq

This is why I appreciate Republicans like Colin Powell and think arrogant pricks like Charles Krauthaumer can kiss my ass.

News bulletin for Charles Krauthammer: arrogance is a vice, not a virtue, asshole. I don't mind vices. Just stop confusing the two.

I think Colin Powell may be right that boycotting the opening ceremonies may be a useless and counterproductive move. I've been open to the idea of boycotting the opening ceremonies. But I think Powell may be right that it probably will lead the Chinese to pull away more rather than constructively engaging them in a resolution to the situation in Tibet, but also the situations in Taiwan and Hong Kong, both of whom (likely, in Hong Kong's case; definitely, in Taiwan's case) would want autonomy or independence if autonomy or independence is granted to Tibet.

I'm voting for McCain, at this point. But I respect the shit out of people who think outside of political boxes, these days. Because the boxes make me goddamned claustrophobic.

And it's nice to have company with people who have stepped out of the goddamned cave. If you have no clue what I'm talking about, I'd suggest you read the one really quality passage in Plato's Republic. Plato got a lot wrong in that book. But that allegory surely fits for anyone who has stepped outside into the sunlight.

Thanks, Colin. It's nice to have the company.

No comments: