Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Gotta say it was a good day

The kids listened and engaged. They were pretty respectful, overall. I even had a couple of classes that felt like real classes, with intellectual curiosity, and everything. It was the biggest sign of hope in this work that I've experienced, yet.

I have considerable confidence in my thinking about issues of teaching and learning, power and manipulation, at this point. Much more confidence than I have in either of the major political parties, that's for goddamned sure, and many of their ideological surrogates, as well.

It's nice, while watching the world go to shit, to watch what has seemed like an otherwise impossible task to me and my colleagues to be coming to fruition: kids who did not give two shits about school or education are starting to care.

And all of us are learning a lot in the process.

Imagine that.

No comments: