"Fuck the revolution"
This is how you talk to Americans.
Goddamn, Bono can make a speech, can't he? I miss the days when these boys sang like this. I appreciate being a rock star and not wanting to seem so pious.
But I think it's a little late for that, don't you, boys?
And for God's sakes, fuckers, risk a little sanctimony.
In the meantime, I remember when U2 had fewer friends with power and made more of a difference.
No offense, fellas, but pressuring the President and G8 leaders to make donations they were already committed to making is hardly the stuff of political courage.
In that spirit, a clip from an excellent movie about the war this song was written to end.
After that self-righteous screed, you'll need a little dose of the indominatable Richard Cheese (the contrast between Cheese's cheese and Bono's ire could not be more brilliant or more hilarious).
Here's their more recent, shitty, garbled, acoustic version for the Clinton Presidential library dedication.
And my favorite cover by you know who.
But nothing really holds a stick to Bono's performance, back in the day, huh?
Get some testicular fortitude, boys. Risk some sanctimony.
Make music like this again.


No comments:
Post a Comment