Taking freedom seriously
For those who take freedom for granted.
Myanmar court hands comedian 45-year prison term
This is why I don't.
I don't care what excuses people give for repression. I don't care what excuses those in liberal democracies give for giving ammunition to repressive forces in Myanmar and around the world. I don't care if those responsible will not take responsibility for how their repression helps thugs like this regime to rationalize their own thuggishness.
I intend on being an honest reality check for those hostile to freedom and friendly to repression of all kinds for as long as my life permits.
And that, and not the embrace of repression, is what courage looks like. No matter what bullshitting people may do to the contrary.
Power is often and generally the refuge of cowards who care too little about its appropriate use and the consequences of its abuse.
Thank goodness there are people like Maung Thura to be an honest reflection of courage when our cowardice is too much for us to bear.
Taking freedom seriously is a tough job. Thank goodness people like Maung are willing to do it.
If only his observers in the free and democratic world took liberal democrac values so seriously.


No comments:
Post a Comment