Honest conversation
Just occurred to me that, absent the experience and the money, Buffet's story about long-term capital management - risking something's that important to you for something that's not important to you - is not only an all-too-common and tragic mistake that people make, it is one that I was guilty of, at one point in my life, sadly. In my case, I lost everything that was important to me, at one point, for something that was worth not a lick in my life. Namely, I lost a really great girl for fighting that led nowhere. I miss her a lot. And I love like hell the humanity with which Buffet tells that story.
He's right. Who cares if you have $110 or $120 million dollars? Keeping straight the things that matter really is the most important priority in life. And IQ is no substitute for keeping those more honest values straight. Intelligence just can't substitute for honesty. No matter how we try to intellectualize ourselves out of that one.
And, in the end, the beauty of teaching Buffet is that the proof is in the pudding. I sure as hell would love to drink beer or a Coke with this guy. If you happen across this Warren, I'm buying.
Just love the honest conversation.


No comments:
Post a Comment