Trust
It's so crazy.
The more I watch national and international media, political leaders, academics, activists, and all the rest, this political period.
The less I trust any of them.
The more I watch people, the more dissappointed I become that so many of this foolish little species have such a hard time ever just admitting that they just don't know what to do about even the biggest problems that we face. And that, maybe, genuinely listening to one another might, consequently, be in order. If we actually want others to take seriously our concerns.
To hear all the confident assertions, you would think that more of the folks with opinions about politics actually know more than they do.
Except when you hear them repeatedly make assertions that turn out to be wrong - and I really can't think of any of the major figures in any circles who do not fit that description - the more you begin to wonder if any of those folks have ever stopped to even consider it. No matter how clearly wrong that often are.
It's a strange spectacle to watch. If you're honest, that is.
Because not many of them really are, is the truth.
Which is exactly why Lord Acton argued and was right, I think, that power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely.
Because those who covet it seem to almost never to able to admit that they ever screw up with its use. Which was exactly what he was telling the Pope when he said it.
No matter how many obvious mistakes they make.
I very much understand why the wisest political observers so often situate themselves so far from power.
Because it's so often such a three ring circus headed to nowhere.
And the truth is that I just don't trust most such folks anymore.
And it's good to know that I chose a life where I can avoid them as much as possible.
Because, most of the time, what a thoroughly unpleasant and ridiculous lot they are.


No comments:
Post a Comment