Why do I feel like such ass, lately?...
I've felt like some serious shit, lately...
I just feel so taken for granted...
I do difficult work...for no money...I can't even pay all my bills...I have a student loan bill that I can't pay, still, at this point...I and every other teacher are expected to take care of every problem in the culture that everyone else is too chicken-shit to deal with, themselves...
And only the smallest percentage of people I've talked with about this seems to take seriously as a problem...
I can't leave teaching...I signed two scholarship deals that require that I remain a special education teacher for 8 years...
So my hand is forced, all around...
And I'm thinking...
If it wasn't forced, I'd want to do a much better job...
But everyone who knows me, personally, can only talk about it in the harshest and most insensitive of terms...
Because they want to retain the right to force my hand or anyone else's hand they want to force...
Because...
No matter how much harder or smarter or whatever I work than most of these same folks...to deal with the same problems...
So now...
My growing attitude...is...
I'm just going to stop working on the same issues so hard...including at my job...the more people force my hand...
I'm going to stop working so hard at being a good son...and a good friend...and a good teacher...and a good policy writer...and a good little activist...
And whatever...
As long as people force my hand...
And I'll only give people the kind of effort and better that I gave them before...
When they get out of my fuckin' face and stop forcing my hand...
And every time someone tries to force my hand...
I'll pull back and do less work...
Every time...
Because I'm tired of working my ass off...
And having people act like they really are working as hard as me...or that they're thinking as hard as me...or that they've earned it as much...
I have a lot of friends and colleagues, right now, who are damned lucky to have my unconditional love and forgiveness...
Because most of the time...
They're not worthy of it...
Except totally as a gift my probably far too generous heart...
At this point...I'm looking to finish my Ph.D. in policy and thinking very seriously about getting out of teaching as soon as possible...I know it's my first year...but I had no clue just how badly my friends and neighbors fucked their public school teachers...
And I have no interest in being fucked any longer than I have to be fucked...
So I'm thinking very seriously about leaving the profession as soon as possible...until the situation can turn around...
And until then...I only do as much work as my hand is not forced to do...
And the more it's forced...the more you get my absolute most minimal effort...
And the more you take me for granted...
The less I'll work on your behalf...
And if I can find a way out of it...
I'll stop working for you, altogether...
Bullies are not friends...they're manipulative shitheads...
And they deserve to dropped like steaming pile of shit that they've become...
I don't know why I've cared as much as I have about my more manipulative friends...
It's pretty fucked up to find out that these are who your friends are supposed to be...
Not any more...
You bully me...
I'll get away from you as quickly as possible, from here on out...
And fuck you in the meantime...
Ben
2 comments:
My boyfriend is a first-year special ed teacher in an inner city school. I can really relate to what you're saying from his stories. Yes, society does screw us three ways from Sunday and expect us to fix everything they're too lazy or scared to deal with.
Still... teaching isn't just a job. You and I and everyone else who's ever been in a classroom know that. Teaching is love in action. There's a little secret that we need to share with all first year teachers, though. I'm in my ninth year teaching, and I still sometimes have trouble remembering this.
See... thing about teaching is our enthusiasm is cyclical. We start the year with hopes and dreams in the sky, ready to take on every challenge. "Give me the tough, the abandoned, the disenfranchised, angry and mean, and I will not only love them, I will educate them, by God, for I am a Teacher!" By the end of January, we've had our share of pain and disappointment. We have a long time to wait for the next break, and we need to recharge our batteries.
My recommendation: spend a minute or two every day until Spring Break reading an inspirational teaching book, teaching quotes, or just remembering why you're in this godforsaken profession. ;)
Don't leave us... the world needs more brilliant and caring teachers. *hugs* It -does- get better. :) :) :)
Thanks a lot, SBPBJ:):)...
I'm amazed that you could see through that little rant to understand what it is that I'm so frustrated with...
This job is so damn hard...and it pays crap...and everyone wants you to solve problems that most people in the rest of world spend all kinds of time avoiding...and its so full of disappointment because I want to solve all those problems, too..though I hate it when it's at my expense...
I think you're right...that's it's my heartache and disappointment with so many things not going as well as I want with kids...
Because if the kids appreciated all the work...and it made the difference I want to see -- which is a bunch of kids who don't really care much, at all, about school, starting to care...and to see it's relevance to their lives -- then...when that happens...it's all worth it...
But the 90% of the time when it feels like that's not happening...
Then it feels disappointing...to do all that work...for what seems like nothing, sometimes...
You're totally right...there are hills and valleys in this job...and this job more than others, probably, because we really, really care about doing a great job...and it's not a job that you just go to and leave behind...it's a job you really care about...
If your boyfriend does special education in an inner city school than he likely knows EXACTLY what I'm going through now...you got all the kids who hate school and teachers most, who struggle the most (along with kids who struggle more while being average behavior problems, rather than the most serious), and who are doing just about anything they can to get out of it...
It's really tough to care about those kids more than they often care about themselves and definitely more than they care about you...because you know that there is no way in Hades that they will be prepared for the world outside of school without having to face up to academic, character, and social issues that make their's and your life miserable, in the meantime...
And in the meantime...I'm wondering...why am only being paid $20,000/year for this job?...
That's why I want to get that Ph.D. and be a professor...
Because it'd be easier...
But that's probably what makes this work so important, at some level...
And that's what I need to know, in my heart...that I'm not just doing this job because I signed up for some scholarships...
That I'm doing this job...because it's love in action...and that that matters...more than it seems to matter, most days...when I'm wondering why I'm giving so much...and receiving so little...
You're totally right, SBPBJ...it's the disappointment...
Because my sights are so high...
And that's where they should be...
I just need to temper them...
With some realism...
About how quickly or not we're going to get to our destination...
Very wise insight:):)...
Thank you:):)...
Love,
Ben
Post a Comment