Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Building a Better World

Yesterday was a terrible day...

And then I have a great day like today...when a colleague who's been simultaneously a stickler for rules and authority...and someone who frequently chaffes at authority...

Talked about the need to follow the spirit of the law...rather than the letter...

And colleagues I work with being much more humble, lately...
I have these really awful days...when kids...or colleagues...or the world at large...just seems to resist every value or idea that makes any sense to me, at all...

And then I have these really incredible days, like today...

When I really feel like I make a difference...

And every time I have a day like this...

I miss Brandi...

I guess it's because she was the last person who shared all these moments with me more fully...experiencing the lows along with the highs along with me...

Melissa listens...patiently...but she's not so terribly enthused about the work as Brandi was...part of the reason, I think, that Melissa and I are better as friends...because I have this passion for life and for purposeful work that she's still working on getting some fire from...

Maybe there just isn't anyone who would want to share all this passion with me...given all the lows that come with the highs...the moments of weakness that come with the strength and love...

But I gotta believe that that isn't true...

She's out there...

We just haven't made that connection, yet...

I would asked out my principal long ago, had she been single...

But, alas...she's married...

So it's me and When Harry Met Sally...until some greater love affair comes along...

All I know is that if I meet a woman with even half of the passion I have for being a great teacher for these kids...and working to strengthen communities and institutions and democracy and thought with better ideas and thinking and engagement as I am...

I'll fall madly in love, I'm sure...

And if it's half as magical as before...

I know I'll have found a soulmate, I hope...

Only this time, with lots of study and the school of hard knocks, I'm far better prepared to be a better man for her...
Now that I'm getting all indications from everyone that they'd like me to stay next year...

And I watch us change lives, one at a time...and a school at a time...

It'd be nice to live out this dream with someone who shares similar commitments...

And who can help develop more and better ideas for doing so for as long as I have during this too short life...

I have work to do:):)...

Hope everyone's having a great week:):)...

Love,
Ben

No comments: