Saturday, October 28, 2006

Faith and reason

Andrew Sullivan writes a really beautiful piece on faith and reason I thought worth reposting and in advance of his new book, The Soul of Conservativism, that I will definitely be checking out the next time I am in the bookstore.

Listening to Jesus

Money quote, as Andrew would say, from the fifth chapter of his book:

"The message of the Gospels seems to me to be constantly returning to this theme: those who set themselves up as arbiters of moral correctness, the men of the book, the Pharisees, are often the furthest from God. Rules can only go so far; love does the rest. And the rest is by far the most important part. Jesus of Nazareth constantly tells his fellow human beings to let go of law and let love happen: to let go of the pursuit of certainty, to let go of possessions, to let go of pride, to let go of reputation and ambition, to let go also of obsessing about laws and doctrines. This letting go is what the fundamentalist fears the most. To him, it implies chaos, disorder, anarchy. To Jesus, it is the beginning of wisdom, and the prerequisite of love."

Brilliant:).

Love,
Ben

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been reading a few of your entries, and I ran across my name. Though I'm not the Brandi you speak of, I just wanted to say that I hope I will find someone who loves me as deeply as you appeared to have loved this girl. And you know what's funny? I get how you feel, I have my own version of your relationship with Brandi. And here's the best part - his name is Ben. Small world, eh? Take care.

Ben Sutherland said...

That is awesome, Brandi.

It's affirming, for me, Brandi, when people recognize how much I loved Brandi. Not because I'm looking for pity, which I'm definitely not. But just because Brandi's so taken it for granted that it's nice that at least some people recognize just how much I cared about her. I don't begrudge Brandi breaking up. But I'm a little hurt that she's taken our friendship and me for granted the way she has. So it's just kind of nice to have people recognize that.

Did you and Ben break up? How long did you date? Just kind of curious:).

Ben