Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Who would have guessed that disillusionment would come in the form of a Democratic majority?

I've been growing old.

I've been settling down quite a bit, lately. Not that my life was really ever all that exciting. But I've been getting more grounded, lately. Many ways nice.

One way not so nice.

I'm learning to live by the rules. All of them.

And I am growing old, quickly.

This is not a favorable way to grow old. It's just something over which you have very little control as a mature adult. You learn to compromise with all the petty ways that others seek to control you, whether they have an business controlling you or not.

This is why people talk so badly about growing old. It may be the reason why so many peoples' music sounds so uninspired in their old age or why they often get meaner and more defeated as they get older.

Because there is nothing inspired or inspiring about this kind of growing old.

The sad thing for me is that now I get to join the millions of other old people who harken back to their freer days of youth and wait for young people to inject inspiration in their lives because they've had all the winds taken out of their sails, ironically, by the very rules and controls that they so passionately advocate and self-righteously believe to signify their still passionate commitment to...something.

Most adults are kind of petty and small-minded, is the truth. But knowing that about others and less about themselves, they advocate all kinds of stupid shit in their lives that creates cynicism for all of them.

I say them because I barely feel like an adult, in this sense. I've definitely made peace with the idea that mature adulthood involves learning to compromise with the power-hunger of my fellow and far wiser grown-ups.

But I have no interest in wanting to control others in the way that my wiser brethren advocate. I think it's because I'm naive about people. I just don't recognize just how much wiser my fellow countrymen are than me and how much better position they are to know what is good for me and everyone, really, than I am myself. I'm trying to learn to do the bidding of others better. I'm just not a very grateful servant, I suppose.

And the irony is, really, that the time when my disillusionment and cynicism would be most pronounced in my life is when I became a servant for the party that presumably wants to lift everyone from servant status.

The Democratic Party.

(Except when you stop to consider that it was the Democratic party that defended slavery and segregation in the Old South. They were much wiser than those servants too. Some things never change, I suppose).

It's terribly ironic, really, except when you consider that Democrats have always wanted to liberate every servant but their own. Something tells me that Teddy Kennedy does not do his own laundry. But thank goodness I have him and President Bush to look after me and other ordinary Janes and Joes like myself who just wouldn't know what to do in this big bad world without them. That's why those guys deserve the big bucks and the big power. Because house slaves like me just wouldn't be able to survive outside of the plantation without their generosity.

And just like when I was a kid and the only thing I could do to maintain any kind of sanity with adults who were barely literate and who barely hid their hypocrisy always telling me what to do and what was good and right in the world, the only way I can maintain my sanity as an grown man is to comment on the bizarre and yet curiously similar state of affairs of adults who are barely literate and who barely hide their hypocrisy always telling me what to do and what is good and right in the world.

Who knew that disillusionment would come in the form of a Democratic majority, the party that I have identified with for, by far, the largest proportion of my life (I voted Republican in my first election, out of identification with my conservative friends and coach, at the time. Otherwise, my life has been as liberal as a John Lennon's male hairdresser smoking crack; except for this next election, so it looks.)

Hope springs eternal in a democracy, I suppose. That's what makes it the best worst form of government. Even as you sit through Robert Byrd's Democratic bloviations or Jesse Helms' Republican bullheadedness, there is always hope that blowhards and bullies don't run the show.

Until being a blowhard and a bully becomes the central governing philosophy for the majority party, that is.

Here's to one of the most important qualities of a democracy: the capacity to throw the bums out.

Democrats. I'm already sick of them.

Love,
Ben

2 comments:

B said...

I'm just as disenchanted with the D-crew as you are, but no matter how sick of 'em I get, there's very little chance of me casting a ballot for Sam Brownback any time soon.

For all of my complaints about Team Blue, Team Red is a far less entertaining and more dangerous freak show to attend.

In your comments to my post about payola and the subsequent conversation, and on net neutrality, I've been noticing just how much you really believe in markets as a mechanism for change.

My guess is that R/Con embrace of those principles is making them look at little less nasty than they might under other circumstances.

I don't have time today to get into this in detail, but I will say one thing... Markets only work to effectuate appropriate change when they are genuine and balanced affairs.

We have a 200 year history of tinkering, adjusting, softening, protecting and otherwise messing around with pure market forces. That means that every time one says "let the market solve" they are really saying "let our current market structure which is wildly tilted to the benefit of a certain constituency solve."

Those are two very different things.

I'd be a market believer across the board (my tendencies are still there now) if market-based solutions actually occurred on a playing field that wasn't tilted to insure the game would have certain features and outcomes.

That leaves us with a few options. We can rely on what's left of a market ideal, as gnarled and corrupt as it might be. We can rely on solutions that compromise choice to insulate us from hardships even though they are less efficient and free than we might like. We can strive to create genuinely open and fair markets in the face of massive institutional and structural pressures to the contrary.

I see the R's doing the first thing with a little of the second.
I see the D's doing the second with not so much of the first.
I don't see either doing the third thing.

Anyway, I'm rambling and should really be working within my little sector of the market--one that remains fairly open and fair in terms of competition, at least for now.

CDB

Ben Sutherland said...

Yeah, I know. I'm not voting for Sam Brownback either. Or Robert Byrd, for that matter. Plenty of people more hostile to more liberal democratic values to go around, sadly. Generally, we call them Congress or Mr. President, I believe:).

I think my frustration with the current period, Carson, is that we seem to be moving so consistently away from those ideals and no matter how much evidence we have that doing so undermines our goals, we continue in the same bad direction.

Markets only solve problems better insofar as people make better choices. And there will never be a time when they make completely free and fairer choices because our ideals are always expanding and elaborating. But they make better choices with more freedom, as 200 years of experience with freer societies should demonstrate for us, if we thought broadly enough about it.

We definitely have to make sure that people get taken care of when they need it. Democrats in Massachusetts and Republicans and California have decided that the best way to do that is to require people to purchase insurance they think will take care of them.

Problem solved, right?

Hardly. What it creates is new layers of government and control which complicates the problem as it goes unresolved. And the sad thing is that this is how liberal ideals have been compromised since the dawn of humanity.

The last initiatives of Soviet Premier Yuri Andropov, before he died, were to tackle alcoholism and laziness (his outlook on productivity, no doubt) with the power of the Soviet state.

It seems ridiculous to us that a leader would tackle such problems with force and the power of the state, because we know how fruitless and counterproductive those efforts would be that are clearly, by our lights, matters of free will.

And it seems totally appropriate to me that the first democratic President of Russia was an alcoholic, just to illustrate just how foolish an idea that was.

The one really decent possibility that comes from these most recent pieces of legislation is that, in a free society where a lot of different voices get heard and where cheerleaders for a proposal are not the only ones who have say, that their failures, much like the failure of the Iraq War, will bear out in stark ways the failures of force to solve most problems.

I want those same problems resolved, Carson. Equity issues are the reason I do what I do.

But I'm completely clear, at this point, that they come far better with more freedom, not with less. It comes with free people working in autonomous institutions that are more removed from state power. I'm just as sure of it as I am sure that freer, more genuinely liberal societies deal with most economic, political, and social problems better than repressive societies, generally, left or right.

And working in the most socialist of institutions in America - other than Social Security and Medicare -has made it so starkly clear to me that I can hardly believe that I ever believed anything else except that I harbored the same fears about economic insecurity that drive more socialist policies that, generally, undermine the very outcomes - and the generosity that underpins them - that they say they seek.

I feel like a Greek philosopher around this one, anymore, Carson, watching an unnecessary tragedy unfold that I have very little power to do anything about. Except write about it, and hope future generations learn from our foolishness.

I guess that is the hope of the Enlightenment and democracy: that our grandchildren can see what fools we were when we couldn't or wouldn't see it ourselves.