Saturday, June 09, 2007

Burning the village to save it

What makes us look at a situation like this and think we have done any good for anyone?

Party Host Mom Set for Virginia Jail Term

This is tragedy, all around. This mom was trying - in a way that I would not, but trying, nonetheless - to make sure that her teenage boys were not drinking and driving and otherwise getting in trouble or worse.

And now she's going to spend 2 years in prison.

What's wrong with us that we have lost any sense of perspective or decency to understand this mother's concern for her children? Or to believe that we always know best for others how to handle such situations?

This is not an America that I am proud to be a part of. This is an America of self-righteous scolds who don't deserve the power they have legislated for themselves.

Burning the village to save it is lunacy. Destroying families to save them is self-righteous insanity.

We will need forgiveness after this is all done, for all of the destructiveness we offered up instead of genuine concern.

And I have to say that the more I see the Post cheerlead this kind of bullshit, the more I need to look for a new daily newspaper to keep up with.

Love,
Ben

No comments: