Giving, independent of ideology
George Will redeems himself with this excellent column on charitable giving.
Bleeding Hearts but Tight Fists
I have to admit that I have gotten less charitable, as of late, largely because I am taking more seriously living within my means, after too many adventures in credit cards in my young adulthood, and building savings and investment and fiscal responsibility into my budget.
I have no interest in maintaining that as a permanent habit. I just need to learn to live within my means and build wealth to give to others as well as support myself and my family.
Benjamin Graham is my model, right now. He went broke at about my same age during the Crash of 1929. Generosity is my instinct. I just need to trust that I'm taking fiscal responsibility seriously enough to build wealth to be generous with. Warren Buffet, I believe, has given more than half his wealth away, at this point. I want to have that kind of flexibility in my life.
And the money wouldn't hurt, either.
No comments:
Post a Comment