Sometimes the progress is a little stupefying
Scooter Libby loses law license
I just watched Age of Innocence, again, last night. There's so much in that movie, that I had to watch it again to get it all.
It's a story of high class aristocrats in New York at the beginning of the 20th century.
And that's what Washington looks like to me, these days.
People with too much power and too much money constantly obsessing about whose got more and who they are going to exclude from the club.
It's a club I'd never want to belong to and would never felt like I really belonged if I did.
And that's the kind of government that we've settled for.
The progress is a little stupefying, isn't it?
Why are we so obsessed with how tough we are when it accomplishes so little?
For the same reason that Mouhmad Ahmadinejad, Fidel Castro, Wen Jiabao, the Myanmar military junta, and the same reason that Saddam Hussein believed in the same.
Because we're scared. And our fear, as it always has, fucks with our vision and distorts our outlook on the world.
I guess one thing that I can be thankful for in this world is that I don't live afraid like that.
Ironic, huh? And completely predictable.
Progress hardly comes with power. Go ask Adolph Hitler.
No comments:
Post a Comment