Sunday, August 10, 2008

What John Edwards says about America

I've been catching up with John Edwards coverage, tonight. I'll tell you what I think.

I think maybe America has decided that it just can't ever give up the ugliness. I don't mean Edwards cheating on his wife. I mean how the media and everyone has decided that shitting on this decent man after he fucked up is somehow the best that America has to offer.

Perhaps America has decided to forgo being a shining city on a hill and decided instead to be the perpetually bitter, angry, jealous, vengeful shitheap that we keep pretending is "progress" (if there is any notion that makes me giggle a little, today, it is the ridiculous and kind of comic idea that this long fuckin' train wreck of news for America is "progress"; I mean, how long can people keep up the bullshit, really?).

Maybe America just doesn't have it in us to be better.

Maybe we are just forever this small-minded, spiteful, nasty, ugly little culture pretending to be something better because to face all that ugliness is just too much for our tiny little hearts to bear.

I don't think so. I think we have more potential than that, I guess I should say.

People are always small before they become bigger. We are always shitty before we get less shitty. Humanity have always been as they are today. Assholes trying to be a little less assholish.

As Ken Layne of Wonkette observed, this is not America's finest moment, right now. We're kind of trailer trash, really. The whole country. Which is all fine and good as far as I'm concerned. That's where I come from. I feel like Br'er Rabbit amidst the Briar Patch that is America, these days.

What a sad, small little nation we have settled for becoming, these days. What a sad, small little people humanity has settled on becoming, these days.

Nothing new. Nothing to be taken more seriously than it deserves either.

What John Edwards says about America is that we have work to do to face up to what assholes we have become in the name of nothin' special.

Unless you feel good about all the progress the assholes have created that is.

In which case, have at it dumbass. You get to live in that world, too, moron. At some point, I would hope that you would want it to actually get better instead of the bullshit that we keep pretending is decency and brilliance, these days.

I, for one, just want to see us get better. I'm tired of the bullshit. And I'm tired of us pretending that our shortcomings are really something better than they are. And I'm tired of America and the world - all of us - acting like our shit don't stink.

We stink to high heaven, right now, is the truth. I'm tired of the stench.

Bout time we all came clean and stop being such shitheads.

Make for a nicer time while we're here.

No comments: