Sunday, November 09, 2008

Live your life, love your kids

I do sometimes wish that there were a way to force away the tragedy and bad stuff that happens in the world. There just isn't most of the time.

What we are left with is wisdom we have or do not about the world, that we share and do not about this world.

Our kids aren't going to do what we want them to do often. Which is good, if we could give our pride a rest for a moment. It means they will determine their own lives. Which is as it should be. It is their life, in the end, not ours.

What we can do, when all is said and done and we've done everything to offer what wisdom we have to offer and done what we can to be a better example to them, is to live our lives and love them.

Every damn fool notion to the contrary has always fallen apart over the course of human history. And for good reason. Because everyone wants the freedom to determine their own lives. Whether we like it or not.

It's the best thing my parents gave me.

And it is likely the most important thing I will have to offer my kids, when all is said and done.

When I think about all of the things I have to offer my kids, this is the one that my parents offered me that I cherish the most.

Thanks Mom. Thanks Dad and Marilyn.

Thanks to all parents, family, teachers, and friends who let me get life figured out for myself.

No comments: