Sunday, December 07, 2008

Choices (or I've Got Soul, But I'm Not a Soldier)

Back in July, I posted about a really outstanding soldier, Lieutenent Matthew Gallagher, known as Lieutenant G to his men, who was featured in a Washington Post article I caught awhile back, and who was being harrassed by a superior because he was asserting his right to leave the armed forces instead of going professional military. Matthew featured this Killers' song, All These Things That I've Done, on his website, Kaboom: A Soldier's War Journal.



And I have to say that after dealing with the bullshit and bureaucracy and limitations on my ability to do a better job in my own work, I completely understand this soldier's dilemma, today.

What he was going through, I think, and definitely what I am experiencing, now, is that I cannot imagine living a life where everything I do is controlled and compromised by the machinations of people who don't care as much as I do about the doing the job well and the freedom I need to do it.

And, at some level, if they can't respect my right to make my own choices - because they don't care as much about what they're doing, is the truth, not enough to question their own egos - then I need to go do something where I don't have to deal with such assholes until they can face up to their bullshit.

I'm not going to spend my life being controlled by people who care less about what they're doing. And less about me than they do about their own egos.

Fuck 'em, I say. Do it without me. I'll be just fine without anyone who disrespects me and my choices like that.

For all you babyboomers out there (especially leftists):

You remember how you felt about the draft during Vietnam?

That's how I feel about having my choices coerced by you, too. And if you can't respect that, I'll have to let you do the work on your own.

And that is the choice - as I decide if I'm staying with teaching, for a living - that I am facing, today.

No comments: