Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Quitting

I'm a bit more serious about quitting, today, after a meeting, last night, and the millionth new requirement that gets in the way of my teaching. I'm just at my wits end, I guess is what I'm saying. And so I'm looking much more seriously at options if I were to quit, today, than I was before last night.

I wouldn't love making money more. But I would love investing for profit and for causes I care about. It'd be nice to be on the money end of stuff I really care about: democracy promotion, promotion of free markets, promotion of liberal education, promotion of liberal values, microloan and poverty alleviation, preventing and treating diseases like AIDS, tuberculosis, and malaria, clean water and sewage, and various other causes that keep more people alive, safe, and living decent lives.

I'd still write my book. I'm just not convinced that working at a university or a school job is really what I want to do with my life. I need independence to strive for excellence and not be burdened with the imposition of mediocrity by others.

Whatever I do, it needs to be independent, I need to be able to achieve excellence, and it needs to be something I love and I can adequately raise a family doing for the rest of my life.

I'm thinking about it. I'll share what I decide.

Anyway.

No comments: