Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Human beings, mistakes, and the political class

This just about sums it up.

Random Thoughts by Thomas Sowell (wasn't that a Saturday Night Live skit?)

"Human beings are going to make mistakes, whether in the market or in the government. The difference is that survival in the market requires recognizing mistakes and changing course before you go bankrupt. But survival in politics requires denying mistakes and sticking with the policies you advocated, while blaming others for the bad results."

I think is possible that Democrats believe that they could never really be wrong about anything important.

That is why Lord Acton said that power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

"Papal infallibility"

That's what prompted Acton's wise observation about people, power, and human nature. The propensity of people to pretend like they never really make mistakes.

And that is why, though the market is and never will be a perfect arbiter of what is valuable or not in the world, that I trust it more than I will ever trust a politician ever.

Because I don't trust politicians any more than I trust myself. And the more I watch them, the less I trust them.

And that will be true no matter how much power they do or do not have.

No comments: