Taking our freedom for granted
How to Raise the Standard in America's Schools
I love that the free marketplace of ideas lets Walter Isaacson have all the opinions that he wants. What I don't love is journalists like Isaacson using that freedom to add yet one more layer of bureaucracy on America's schools on the foolish notion that a Federal law will make things all better.
I have a suggestion for Walter Isaacson. How about a set of national standards for the quality of reporting that occurs in America, with Time, Newsweek, and the U.S. News and World report being the very lowest standard possible, as any relatively experienced speech and debate competitor will readily acknowledge.
Walter, the day you will accept the Federal government telling you how to report and publish your opinions is the day I will accept the Federal government telling me how to teach.
Until then, either take liberal values seriously, or don't expect that you will be taken seriously.
There's a reason the Founding Fathers fought for liberty. No matter how many Walter Isaacsons in the world take their freedom, and, more importantly, the freedom that others cherish, forever for granted.
No comments:
Post a Comment