Monday, June 15, 2009

The politics of irrationality

Do you think either of these parties will take a moment to notice that neither of them are getting anything they want?

Palestinians angered by Netanyahu peace terms

Probably not. How sad and foolish the road that power politics paves.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes, I think a fucked up Middle East is an industry that's just "too large to fail".

I think they'll notice. Part of me wonders if that's the whole point.

This concludes my cynical comment.

CDB

Ben Sutherland said...

Completely share the disillusionment on this one, Carson. And the sad part of the whole thing is that, in part, that is exactly the whole point. They want what they want, obviously. But so often want failure more because it delivers the perpetual and murderous hope of something better.

But you would think that each party might step back, at some point, and say to themselves, "Does anyone notice that all this haggling means that none of us gets anything that we at least repeatedly argue that we want?"

And I think the unspoken bottom-line on this one, Carson, is that what each of them really want is what they can't have: the lives back of all those Israelis and Palestinians, respectively, that have given their blood for this godawful mess. And all the spoils that went with it.

And so they would rather have more blood spilt than give up all that bitterness and move forward. It's the most inane, dysfunctional mess I've ever seen.

Humanity at its finest.