Power and progress
You know what the best thing about being a much more thoughtful, non-partisan, independent thinker, these days?
AP-GfK Poll: Great hopes for Obama fade to reality
Polls like these strengthen my faith in the American people rather than weaken it. Because I'm not trying to defend anyone, any party, or any agenda, anymore. It's amazing how stepping out of the game will improve your perspective, by my lights.
The fact is that I think the American people were right when they thought that America under George Bush was moving in the wrong direction, on balance, particularly in national and international security affairs post-9/11. And I think the American people are right, today, that America under Barack Obama is moving in the wrong direction, on balance, particularly in economic affairs.
How can that be?
Because the conventional wisdom in Beltway circles that Republicans are strongest on national security and Democrats are strongest on economic matters is exactly backwards, I think. And the reason they are backwards, I believe, is because it is in those areas where both parties romanticize power most is exactly where they are more prone and generally do abuse power most seriously.
And this is a period like none that I've witnessed, personally - though there have been many, many much worse periods in the past, tragically - where power has been romanticized and abused by both parties. Meaning, until either or both parties choose to stop romanticizing and abusing power, the instincts by most Americans that each party is taking us in bad directions is dead-on correct.
Many Americans may not know why. And they may not know what will make things better.
But they know when things are bad. And they know when to call bullshit on partisans when they claim that they, of course and always, have nothing to do with any negative consequences, whatsoever.
It's amazing what superheroes in both parties are responsible for only good things in the world and yet all the bad things that we have experienced and will keep experiencing, isn't it?
Actually, it's not so amazing. What it is is a function of a hypercompetitive, hyperaggressive, all-too-dishonest process that makes it more difficult for partisans, independent observers, and average Americans alike to understand the world, sort through our mistakes, develop better ideas and solutions.
That will change, if I have anything to say about it. And I will. Plenty. If you doubt that, ask my friends when the last time was that they ever got me to shut up.
And, in the meantime, what I'm really digging about the American people, right now, is their ability to call bullshit.
Now what we need is the ability to call bullshit translated into stronger understandings of people and policy that address our problems more honestly and responsibly.
We make progress. In baby steps. And generally despite our most powerful, not because of them.
No comments:
Post a Comment