Why I like Obama
If I had to sum it up in one sentence, this would be it.
Gates says it's time to 'move on' from his arrest
"After a phone call from President Barack Obama urging calm in the aftermath of his arrest last week, Gates said he would accept Obama's invitation to the White House for a beer with him and Cambridge police Sgt. James Crowley."
That is what I want in a President. Someone who can chill out a situation and discuss it more maturely over a beer. President Bush had so much promise in this vein. I'd still love to have a beer with our last Commander in Chief, honestly. But President Obama delivers on this commitment better, is the truth. And I really like it about him.
Most of our conflicts in America and in the free-and-not-so-free world need to be resolved like this, really. Far too much heat and way too little light in our discussions, these days. And no amount of rise in temperature will please the assholes who capitalize on and manipulate the heat index because they have so little light to offer. No use in caving to such shitheads. Left, right, or any variation on dick that occupies the political world.
I don't like Obama because I agree with him on everything. I don't agree with anyone about everything. Who does? Nevertheless with any President or Presidential candidate.
What I like about Obama is that he seems like the kind of guy I could sit down and have a beer with and bullshit a little bit about how we saw the world and hopefully learn something from one another.
That's what I want from a leader of any kind. I want someone I can talk with who will listen and who has a substantial amount of wisdom to offer himself. And, in the end, more humility than wisdom. Because noone, no matter how wise, has all the answers. And that is the most important bit of wisdom in the world, as far as I'm concerned, at least.
Love to pick Barack's brain about that.
No comments:
Post a Comment