Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Rest in peace, Teddy

The kids and I watched the news of Teddy Kennedy's death, today. And I showed them the speech that Teddy made in his lifetime that most moved me. It was his eulogy for his brother, Bobby Kennedy, and one of the my most profound political heroes. It is one of the more beautiful speeches that all the Kennedy brothers came to be known for. And with Teddy's passing is also the passing of a generation of high-minded purpose in politics that the Kennedy family embodied.



I grew up a liberal, very much appreciating the passion and commitment of Teddy Kennedy and his brothers to higher aims of humanity. I am independent, today, more concerned about finding better and more honest means to those aims than at odds with the aims themselves. And speeches like this one represent Teddy as his best. And the best kinds of commitments of the liberalism that he committed himself to.

Governance and people are at their best when they are committed to these more high-minded purposes, liberal and conservative. Our debates and discussions, at their best, are ones of many committed and good people trying to figure out what ideas might offer us a better future.

Teddy Kennedy was one of such person and one that I have admired, even when I have, often, disagreed with him. And his failings inspired my humanity rather than my baser, pettier impulses. And it is that kind of humanity that should guide us, today, and not our base, petty impulses masquerading as something better.

We have had quite enough of the latter in the last 10 years and really over the entirety of human history. May we all be inspired by Teddy's words and deeds to be something better.

No comments: