We are weak and they are strong
It's so ironic. This sad little replay.
It is the exact same line that brought Adolph Hitler to power. It is the very reasoning that has brought and kept most despots in power for most of humanity's history. It's nothing new. Same ol', same ol'. Or, if you believed the Nazis, a whole new path to progress.
Compassion is weakness. Force is strength.
You know what's supremely ironic about using it in this case?
82% Oppose Decision to Release Lockerbie Terrorist
It is exactly the logic of terrorism.
If you want a root cause to terrorism, this is it.
If you observe all of the rhetoric and action of terrorists, and almost all radical political activity and the boldest, most violent criminal activity, not to mention most despots of any serious note, this is the logic and the source of their efforts. Almost without exception.
Which leaves us with really two choices, fundamentally.
One, that if we were really honest with ourselves, we're just not living up to what we know, down deep, is our truest expression of our values.
Or, two, that the terrorists are right. And we are wrong. That we are weak. And they are strong.
That is the logical conclusion of that line of reasoning. Not only that conclusion, but the much more honest conclusion. That Hitler and Stalin embodied strength. Whereas we are only cowards, too afraid to use power how it should be used.
Or perhaps we are just not as bad as them.
That's better, right?
To not be quite as bad as Hitler and Stalin? To not be quite as bad as Al Queda, Hamas, Hezbollah, and all the rest?
Or, perhaps, like many of my radical friends of the left and right, we aim to be exactly as bad as all of those folks. Or at least pretend to be as much as it will intimidate our way into our aims.
That is the direction of progress. Or so every thug who has ever walked the earth would have us believe.
Perhaps they are right. Perhaps we are weak and they are strong. Jesus loves you. But he doesn't pack heat. Might may not make right, but it tells you what the fuck to do. Or maybe it does make right. With enough persuasion, that is. Or maybe compassionate folks like Jesus really were the enemy all along and we were just too blind to know to tell him what the fuck he could do with all that love and bullshit.
Compassion is weakness. Power is strength.
We are weak. They are strong.
Force is the path of progess for the strong and courageous.
Freedom is the path of failure for the weak and compassionate.
Liberalism is weak. Illiberalism is strong.
The strong don't apologize. And they certainly don't forgive.
Manson follower Susan Atkins loses 13th attempt at freedom -- and it may be her last
"Former Manson prosecutor Vincent Bugliosi said it was time for the state to show Atkins mercy. He told The Times last year that it was wrong to say 'just because Susan Atkins showed no mercy to her victims, we therefore are duty-bound to follow her inhumanity and show no mercy to her.'
“She’s already paid substantially for her crime, close to 40 years behind bars. She has terminal cancer. The mercy she was asking for is so minuscule. She’s about to die. It’s not like we’re going to see her down at Disneyland,” said Bugliosi, who wrote the best-selling book 'Helter Skelter.'"
But that's because Vincent Bugliosi is weak. And we are strong.
Perhaps what we have not considered is that these people we are killing have a point. Perhaps Hitler was right all along. Al Queda as well.
We have tried freedom. And it, not us, is responsible for our failures. Freedom made life worse. We were but innocent bystanders. Liberalism is our shameful past. It is time to shackle it.
Or. Perhaps Hitler was a coward. Who would not face honestly his weakness. Perhaps Bin Laden is the same.
And perhaps we are too.
Perhaps we might at least be honest about that direction.
And not confuse it with something more honest.
Or maybe we can just do better.
2 comments:
Interesting thought piece.
If we become so liberal we allow anything, we end up losing everything, including our liberal society. Ask Holland.
I think the answer lies being hard on the outside and soft on the inside. We can't put up with any BS coming in from the outside, but we need to leave freedom-loving, law abiding citizens on the inside alone to get their freak on or whatever.
I hope you get that book done. I can't wait to read it.
Have a good Labor Day Weekend, Ben!
I think it's actually simpler than that, foutsc.
Noone serious who has ever embraced liberal values - meaning liberty as the basis for a democratic society - has ever wanted a free-for-all, I don't think. John Stuart Mill, Lord Acton, Milton Friedman, etc. - all these folks were committed to liberty as a means to being responsible members of a society.
The question we face, today, is does liberty make us strong or weak?
If we believe the terrorists and we think that liberty makes us weak, then I'm not quite sure why we're fighting the terrorists, actually. Because then they're right and we're wrong and they really should be ruling with Sharia law or whatnot force would make us strong. I don't think that. But a lot of people talk as if they did. And, if they do, those are the logical people to lead that cause since they really do believe it and, if so, they are right and we really are pussies who just won't lay the smack down like they would.
But if they're wrong, as I believe they are, then we are strong. And we are strong not because we are some compromised version of Sharia law or Communism or Naziism or the like, but because we're liberal. Because we love liberty (in this case, my use of the term liberal is not only not referring to 20th century progressivism, in some very serious ways it is in contradiction to many of the commitments of 20th century progressives).
What I'm saying, bud, is we need to decide.
Are we strong because of our liberty? Or are we weak because of our liberal values?
We know what the terrorists think. That's a slice of the debate. The question I'm posing to people who understand what they think is, "Are they right?"
And then I'm pointing us in the logical consequences of the choice we make on that question.
Either they are and we need to embrace their causes so we can be stronger or some version of terrorist/Communinist/Nazi/force as a governing philosophy and give up our liberal charade.
Or we need to take liberty seriously and stop bullshitting that it's a weakness when it is most clearly a strength.
I know where I stand, is the point. My question is, "Does everyone else?"
And, if not, get busy being liberal. Or get busy being illiberal.
But let's all get honest about the directions we're taking, I'm saying. And let's be honest about which way really moves in direction of progress.
Does our compassion make us weak or strong, is the question?
A lot of folks think weak. And so do the terrorists, is the point. Meaning, if you think so, you're in good company.
But I don't think so. I think our compassion makes us strong. I think Jesus thought so too. In fact, it was the heart of his thought. And I think he was right, too.
We definitely have to defend ourselves. But doing so does not mean giving up our compassion. It means being smart and honest about how we look at the world which we consider with compassion so we have an idea of who we're dealing with and how they might be thinking about these things.
Terrorists are weak for looking at the same world without that compassion, is my point. But if people are going to persistently confuse their weakness with strength, what I'm saying is, "Shit or get off the pot." Either agree that they are right and concede the fight. Or genuinely believe that they are wrong and stop pretending that acting like them makes us strong.
The problem with much of the world, bud, is that they really don't believe that the terrorists and the Communists and the Nazis and the Islamists and the rest are wrong.
And what I'm saying is, "If you don't believe they're wrong, why are you fighting them?"
I know why I want to fight terrorists. Because I'm 100% sure that they're wrong.
The question for the rest of the world is, "Are you?
Post a Comment