Friday, September 11, 2009

Why I love free markets and free societies

Does anyone really believe that Marxism could ever be responsible for something like this? Or Islamism? Or socialism? Or fascism? Or even progressivism or conservativism?



Why do people all over the world jam to the same bumpin' dance music?

Because free markets and free societies, where people can access whatever music they can get their hands on, make that possible. Not to mention making possible Youtube where we all just watched it and all of the equipment and materials that made that wedding and its filming realizable.

And what I love about free markets and free societies, as with love and everything that really matters in life, is that we are free to take all of it for granted all we want. And live with the quite natural, and, sadly, some quite unnatural and often ugly and meanspirited, consequences of those choices.

And I am goddamned proud, at this point, to live somewhere where I have the freedom to make my own choices, good and bad, and live with those quite natural consequences.

I want more of it. Not less.

And, at the end of the day, the people responsible for taking it all for granted, and reaping what it sows, and for changing that direction, to reap something better, are not George Bush or Barack Obama or any of their cheerleaders or demonizers.

It is us.

And I love a country and a world where we're free to do just that.

No comments: