Sunday, October 18, 2009

Faith amidst tragedy

Makes me yearn to hear from one of my more important heroes. C.S. Lewis.

This is one of the more resonant religious discussions I have heard in a long time, from Reverend Tom Honey.

As a Christian youth leader, earlier in my life, and an atheist with a deep and profound Christian and moral grounding, a believer in universal morality and spiritual connection, and who finds much more in common with people of various faiths than I could ever possibly find different, I found this discussion of God in the contemporary world very moving and thoughtful.



I think the bottom line is do we live lives where we honestly prevent such tragedy, or do we live lives where we are indifferent or make worse such tragedy or make it possible, at all?

We make choices, is what we do. And our choices either hasten tragedy. Or they prevent it.

The trick of life is that we all work with terribly incomplete understandings of what will and what will not hasten or prevent tragedy. And we have stronger opinions, on the matter, typically, than we have reason to believe so strongly. We talk more than we listen. We assume more than we know. We try to overpower more than engage and understand.

Real progress in tackling our problems necessitates that we are humble more than we are more certain than we can ever possibly be about how we can work together to tackle them together.

A discussion well worth a listen.

No comments: