Making a difference
Had a kid request this Cranberries song, the other day. An era when songs like this one really did make a difference in the world.
This kid's going through a serious Cranberries phase, right now. Can't tell you how much that touches me given how much I loved the Cranberries growing up. Songs like this one and U2's Sunday Bloody Sunday helped create the political climate necessary to end the violence in Northern Ireland. And it moves me, a lot, actually, that a kid at a school for kids not terribly moved by much, except for their own egos, too often, was moved by Dolores and her motley crew on this song and all of their gorgeous music.
And after a long conversation with this kid, I felt like maybe I was making a difference in this job that I haven't felt in quite awhile, actually.
Maybe I am the sum of more than just all my mistakes. Which have been plentiful in my life. And felt mighty weighty this semester.
Perhaps I have something to offer. Perhaps he does. Perhaps we all do.
We shall see.
No comments:
Post a Comment