Thursday, October 14, 2010

Poor, poor, petty, pitiful homo sapien (pray forgive this hopeless sinner)

As I look out at the very sad, pious, foolish lot that the world has chosen to degenerate into in these first few years of the 21st century, I'm struck by what a stupid, useless spectacle most people would allow the most important matters in the world to devolve into.

All to avoid rethinking it.

The ultramodern twist, in this bubble in a boiling pot, is that people will do it with utterly reckless abandon. Pretending, all the while, to do so as a matter of stalwart, unwavering principle.

Principle. That's what we call this ridiculous carnival of ego, these days.

Because it's easier than saying the truth.

"I just really haven't thought about it, enough, really. And I certainly haven't listened very well to everyone else. Especially the snakes on the other side of the garden. And I'm too scared to admit to myself, as much as my neighbors, just how little I really have figured anything out. I really couldn't tell you what valuable insights people have to offer, out there, other than the ones that come off of my own self-enamoured lips. Because those are the only ones that really matter to me, anyway."

It's very sad to watch this thick-headed pageant of heated and willful ignorance, from the left and the right, from Christians and Jews and Muslims, from Americans and Europeans and from the far reaches of the entire globe, from liberal democratic peoples and illiberal peoples hostile to democracy. All of us created equal in our bumbling absurdity. All in the business of killing and attacking and intimidating and scaring and otherwise strong-arming one another in the name of own own brand of irrational and child-like pigheadedness and pronounce once and for all for the world:

If that doesn't prove just how much I have finally got everything figured out, I just don't know whatever will.

How terrifically pathetic, this human race.

What a poor, petty, pitiful mess we have become.

Poor, poor, petty, pitiful homo sapien.

Pray forgive this hopeless sinner.

No comments: