Thursday, October 27, 2005

Why I have hope for humanity:):):)...a clarifying moment:):):)...

I was wrong...I believe in my friends:):)...I don't just love 'em:):):)...I believe in 'em:):):)...

You know why I believe in people...no matter how shitty they can be, so often:):):)...

Because laming out is just not a way that most folks can lead a life, for long...

Some people lame out for quite a long time, I must admit:):):)...I never thought I'd meet so many 40 and 50 year olds who just never seem to have grown up:):):)...nevertheless 20 and 30 year olds:):)...

But laming out is just no way to sustain a life...

Defensiveness just doesn't make much room for a way forward...meaning a vision for life that gets us somewhere:):)...

Harriet Miers announced her withdrawal from nomination to the Supreme Court, today...

First...I want to say to Ms. Miers...thanks for putting your hat into the ring:):)...and the only reason that mattered for why someone else might be a better pick, Ms. Miers, is that you just haven't done the homework to do that job...you were picked for a lot of wrong reasons...a lot of cynical ones...and it takes a lot of courage to step back from that and say, "Maybe I'm not the person for this job"...

And what is refreshing about Harriet withdrawing...

Is that it reaffirms that when it comes to important matters of serious policy...

That thoughtfulness matters...whether you agree with those engaged in the thinking or not...the thinking, itself, matters quite a bit, really...

And that is the big lesson to be drawn from the Presidency of George W. Bush...

That thought matters...everywhere...and that operating as if it doesn't...has consequences...

It is the most important challenge of this generation...to take serious thought more seriously...

And ourselves less seriously:):)...

Some of the best time in my short life, thusfar...has been reading and reflecting and thinking about the ideas of those who take such thought seriously...

And now the challenge is to share that with others...

And to expect them to take the challenge of integrating serious thought into their lives seriously...everywhere in life...

But that's where it matters...

Everywhere...

Like it or not:):)...

That's where my next great love lies, I think:):):)...in the world of serious, compassionate, decent, loving, genuine goodness and thought:):):)...

I can't wait:):):)...

My friends are going to come around this one, I'm confident:):):)...

You know why?:):):)...

Because they're great people:):):)...or at least they have the potential:):):)...

And there are, ultimately, only two directions that people can take:):):)...

Mediocrity...and that long black train backwards...

Or greatness:):):)...and constantly aspiring for it:):):)...

And my friends are not mediocre:):):)...

And there is too much greatness in their futures to aspire for anything less:):):)...

Have a great day, everyone:):):)...

Love,
Ben

No comments: