Dreaming of a life I love...
I just got back from a special education district inservice...it was relaxing...to be in a classroom situation, again...to talk with other people dealing with similar challenges as me...to be raising other teachers' expectations with examples of where doing so improves situations...
But the general attitude I've gotten from district folks whenever I've pointed to real limitations on all kinds of great aspirations...not set-in-stone limitations...just more realism in how quickly and how ambitiously different stuff can get achieved...
Is, "too fuckin' bad...do it...or else"...
And the more I get that attitude...
The less inspired and motivated I am to do the work...
It's so fuckin' stupid, really...
And a lot of my solace is found in the same solace that my teachers had with me, as a kid...
Which is...maybe I can learn from what I hate about how my superiors handle things...to improve the way I handle things with my kids...
And maybe they can learn to do it better than me and the rest of their parents and their teachers and administrators and district administrators and politicians and everyone whose decisions impact their lives...
You know what I really dread?...
Is having all the bullshit that goes with this job...and any job, really...
Have me just as frustrated and as lacking in inspiration...that many of the veteran teachers I learn from and look to as mentors and seek guidance from...
The more long-term quasi or not-so-quasi burnout that they experience...
My frustration, yesterday, was that some veteran teachers left me hanging in a discussion with our district supervisor about paperwork...I raised the issue...and even though all of them fret about the issue to me, privately...not one of them talked about it publicly with me...making me look like the first year teacher who just can't hack it...
I felt really betrayed by the whole ordeal...including by some teachers that I really respect and look up to...
And it was just one more in a long line of instances...where I step up to take some big responsibility on my shoulders...
Only to look beside me to find older, more experienced colleagues shirking responsibility that they can get off their plate...leaving more for me to burden...
Things are getting better, I think...
Teachers are engaging in more constructive venting, these days...they're easing up on the kids, which I think is good...though today I was not easing up on kids, since my first and second hours were hell on wheels, this morning...and I just didn't have the patience to deal with them, this morning, or the two hours afterwards...
And what really frustrates me about this whole situation...
Is that if some of unnecessary burdens...the more arbitrary district requirements...the federal regulations...the state mandates...
If some of the more unnecessary burdens were lifted...
I would feel so much more inspired to do a far better job...
And I was feeling more inspired, at the beginning of my school year, before I had hit my head against those same arbitrary requirements...
It's so goddamn stupid...the whole goddamn thing...it's counterproductive...it undermines everyone's efforts...and...in my case...it undermines the efforts of someone who is seriously ambitious in his efforts...in ways that most teachers never are in their wildest dreams, frankly, just considering the scope of my outlook in my work...
It's just so goddamn stupid...
It makes me want to go somewhere where there is more freedom to do good work...
But other than a more laid back university situation (I'm thinking like a Wichita State)...and like Abraham Maslow (who taught at Brooklyn College most of his career) let the chips fall where they may around my ideas...
Where would I go?...
Wichita State is also the last place I went to school that had a serious appreciation for intellectual diversity...meaning that the political science department had conservatives and liberals who peacefully co-existed under the same roof...though a university with active intellectual engagement of different perspectives (like a Harvard or a Stanford) would be more ideal, obviously...
As long as I can care, first, for my primary responsibility...
Being a decent human being...a loving husband...and a really strong father...
I would also like to teach, at some point, after this stint in special education...where the kids need more persuasion, daily and constantly, to care about school...
To work with students who are more internally motivated...without being obnoxious...and with some sense of balance and priorities in their lives:):):)...to care about school...and education...and all the values that come with that:):)...
I would prefer a public university...just because I also very much value a diversity of students and faculty and staff from different backgrounds...and not just overachievers in a more isolated setting, as is often the case, more, with Ivy League schools, I think...
What I'd like...
Is to work somewhere...and live somewhere...and spend time somewhere...
Where my natural enthusiasm...curiosity...interest...commitment...and love for life...and for studying...and for teaching...and for education...
Are supported...
Rather than undermined...
By the arbitrary requirements of people...
Who clearly care far less about education...and people...and living a good life...
Than I do...
I'm going home for Valentine's Day:):):)...I'm having a beer:):):)...I'm working on some paperwork and some IEP's:):):)...
And I'm enjoying the freedom of home:):):)...
Have a nice Valentine's, everyone:):):)...
Love,
Ben
No comments:
Post a Comment