Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Thinking about what the future might look like...

I'm still finishing up an I.E.P. (Individualized Education Plan), tonight:):)...

And I had a thought about the future...about what progress might look like for my children's generation...

I've thought about it, a lot...wondering what's over the horizon...as some of the issues of my generation start getting some resolution...

And one of them...that has impact on me...

Is the idea of more inclusive wealth...

Meaning...perhaps...as I become an old man...

Perhaps wealth will begin to wither as an exclusive concept of humanity...and be something that is more genuinely shared...

And that people like me...can freely choose to give up wealth...because they just realize that there's such a thing as too much...or enough...

I'm sure I'll face that day in my own lifetime, I suppose...

But I also wonder if maybe young people won't have to go through the awful legacy of young poverty that we impose on young people getting started in the world...if maybe we will begin, by the time my children are coming up, have a world where debt is a matter easily resolved, rather than prolonged, unecessarily, by efforts to punish and otherwise take advantage of people's difficult financial situations...

I have to think that we can learn the lesson...and create a more genuinely dynamic economy...where financial failure or difficulties can be more easily resolved so that people are active participants in the economy in more substantial ways -- investing and saving and making better choices because of their active engagement in such activities -- rather than the pretty fruitless and pointless hardship that we put people through in such situations...

For that to happen, there would need to be a much more proactive commitment to wealth inequity...which is why I want wealth inequities to get resolved within the market, since free and active efforts have much more potential to not only resolve matters of health care and wellness, child care, vacation and rest, wages and benefits, and other matters of need associated with poverty...

But also to much more substantially address issues of investment, saving, and other efforts that would create a much more active investment in a dynamic economy that would lead more and more people to identify with a dynamic economy and to avoid undermining it out of their outrage with greed and decisions made around profit-margins that impact other areas like the environment and social issues that they care about...

It's a pretty obvious virtuous circle to me, if people would pick up on and support its possibility...including poor, middle class, and rich people, many of whom don't always show the strongest inclinations towards wiser investment and savings...

Better education is key to and underlines all such efforts...since better and more substantial commitments to education help create bigger and longer worldviews that encourage more long-range thinking associated with both taking education and all of the opportunities -- like investment -- more seroiusly...and with making wiser investments and engaging in more forward-looking savings, in the first place...

But what a great world that would be...

If we could get kids and adults in schools on the same page, better, around matters of education...so that they are more likely to support such virtuous circles:):):)...and deserve the trust involved with such an effort...

Just thinking:):):)...while I finish this I.E.P.:):):)...

Have a great night, everyone:):):)...

Love,
Ben

No comments: