Friday, April 07, 2006

When to take kids' bellyaching seriously...and when to ignore it...

It's probably the hardest part about teaching and being a parent...

When do you take their frustrations seriously?...meaning when and how do you best appreciate how differently they see the world without the benefit of maturity?...

And when do you ignore the bellyaching of kids who have never been seriously responsible for themselves or anything in their lives, up to this point?

It's been a good week, this week...but a tough week...

Two of my more academically ambitious students...have been behaving poorly all week...

And I finally put both of them in safe seats today (our middle school equivalent of a "time out")...and one of them in recovery (a separate classroom for a more extensive time out)...

Many of the kids clearly hate me, right now...and it's hard to tell with kids at this age whether you've earned it...or whether it's just bellyaching...

Because if you haven't earned it...it can be a pretty ingenious method of manipulation, I'm quite aware...

But if you have...it's just going to get worse until you see your mistake...

And I just don't see it, at this point...

I've been manipulated enough in my life from some pretty ingenious manipulators...more adults than kids, really...and I've manipulated enough in my life...both as an adult and as a kid...to know to not go down this path easily, anymore...

And there's a lot of stress at this time of the year...for everyone...teachers...and kids...that just sort of boils over on itself, too much of the time...

That it's something to think about over the weekend...

In any case...I'm definitely doing my best...and I think...I hope...that I'm doing a pretty good job...

And now I definitely see why many adults fall back on the awareness that their parents were imperfect, too...and they still turned out fine enough...

I wish my parents and teachers had done all sorts of things, better...

But they did the best they could...

And that's all any of us can do...

There are a million things...that adults could do for one another...that would make it easier to raise responsible children...if we'd be willing to be more supportive of our needs as people and as people responsible for children...rather than lost and ungrounded in a million responsibilities distant from the needs of our children and our families...and ourselves...

I've got some kids to inspire this afternoon...we've been reading and talking about Bill Bradley's Values of the Game, together...a really great book for inspiring all kinds of kids to live with more maturity and gravity and appreciation for what really counts in life...

Have a great weekend, everyone...

Love,
Ben

No comments: