Friday, April 07, 2006

Why we should handle kids, and people, above all, with much love...

A girl, today, got suspended for suspicion of something serious...but which her main teacher and I believe, given her reaction, she likely did not do...

This is a girl that has been in a lot of trouble, in the past...and has earned some mistrust...

But her reaction reminded me why, as much as possible, I try to err on the side of trusting kids' word, even if I get burned, sometimes...

I had a boy, this morning, whom I followed to class after I watched him twirling around in the hallway, knowing that I was watching...he ducked away, in the process, and I wasn't able to find him...

And all of this takes me back to a time in my school career...

When I had done something wrong...

And when people had thought much worse of me than was the case...in ways I never would have imagined...

And how bad I felt at the time and later felt for what I'd done...how betrayed I felt that they would hold such grudges...over something I never thought would provoke the reaction that it did...

How much it left me feeling betrayed by people and an institution that I trusted, most...

And what a terrible and difficult lesson it was to learn about a world far too full of suspicion and fear and pain and hardship...

I hadn't realized just how unresolved a lot of that pain was for me until I heard that girl react to her suspension...just how much mistrust in school...and in the world...that one bad decision by teachers had engendered in me...

That reality...far more than poverty...weighs on my conscience when I work with the kids I see everyday...

A world far too harsh and punitive...for far too little real purpose...and definitely with far too little positive results to show for it...

And watching that kid...it reminded me just how important this trust is...teaching...

And just how clumsily we all play with that trust...

And how we are all worthy of forgiveness for that clumsiness...

Not only because there is really nothing else that will get us all through it...

But because we will all need forgiveness...by future generations...who look back with grave disappointment...as they always do...at how awful we treated one another...

Let's hope this student's story does not end up being one of those stories...

Most people grow weary and cynical and jaded about the world...because at one point in their lives...or maybe many points...their generosity was taken advantage of...

And while being taken advantage of certainly can be heartbreaking...especially when our hearts are open at just the time when someone abuses that openheartedness and our trust...

I would in a million years rather have my kids abuse my trust...take advantage of my generosity...and leave me feeling disappointed, while they learn about that trust...and how it works...than I would have them fearful of losing my love and trust and generosity and grace and forgiveness forever were I not to show it to them at all...or hold back...for fear that my love and compassion and forgiveness and openheartedness...

...are weakness...

Rather than the strength that they clearly are...

Have a great weekend, everyone...

Love,
Ben

No comments: