Why Democrats and Republicans invest too much confidence in government
George Will has a brilliant article in the Washington Post, today, that illustrates exactly the "irrational exhuberance," as George calls it and as Alan Greenspan originally referred to the source of the hazy vision that led to the technology bubble and crash of the late 90's, that has characterized Democratic and Republican governments alike as each invest too much confidence in the power of government to solve important problems.
Innoculated for Exhuberance
And George is exactly right on both counts.
Hillary Clinton's and Washington Democrats' foolish conviction that the Federal government could and should effectively coerce every level of government and every citizen in a cumbersome, overbearing government health care plan was perhaps the most serious investment of far too much confidence in government during the last Democratic Administration.
And George Bush's belief that the U.S. government could remake the Middle East with its military might is perhaps the most serious investment of far too much confidence in government during either the last Democratic or Republican Administration.
They are two different mistakes with two very different sets of problems. Challenging Saddam Hussein likely did need outside and overwhelming military force to do the job. But believing that the U.S. could do it alone, especially without the support and leadership of the Iraqi people, as well as the support of our democratic and critical non-democratic allies in the region was American hubris at its worst. Republican backing of this foreign policy failure as well as Democratic incompetence to develop an alternative policy other than some different version of American hegemony in the form of pressuring the Iraqis to clean up the mess we made (does our arrogance have no bounds?) will likely undermine American power in serious ways if America does not humble herself in world affairs.
The foolish national health care plan offered by Hillary Clinton luckily was less ambitious and less successful. And it too, as George well argues, was a terrible investment of confidence by an Administration in the power of government to solve a problem that it cannot and should not attempt to solve.
As George argues, "the most important thing a government can know...(is) what it is that it doesn't know." And that is the source of the hubris of both Democrats and Republicans in Washington -- investing too much confidence in Federal solutions -- that need our vigilant criticism and correction.
It is the perpetual problem of solutions imposed by Washington. They assume that they know more than they really know to solve those problems. In America, it is the most important reason to have divided government, separation of powers, and checks and balances: to check the hubris of those seeking national power. Typically Washington legislators know far less than they would need to solve more serious problems in the country. Their power should be limited and exercised in the most limited of ways if it is to be either effective or wise. To the extent that Washington overestimates its understanding of issues (which is more often than not), it generally makes problems worse, is my study and experience.
And to the extent that all power is exercised humbly (which is less often than not) the more effectively and wisely it can be used for any purpose.
Check out George's article for a very insightful look into the hubris of all parties whenever they exercise power.
Democrats won an election for one brief political era. Lord Acton and George Will have wisdom for the ages.
Love,
Ben
4 comments:
Good day !.
might , probably very interested to know how one can collect a huge starting capital .
There is no initial capital needed You may begin earning with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.
AimTrust is what you need
AimTrust represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.
Its head office is in Panama with affiliates around the world.
Do you want to become really rich in short time?
That`s your choice That`s what you really need!
I feel good, I began to take up income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to choose a proper partner utilizes your money in a right way - that`s the AimTrust!.
I make 2G daily, and what I started with was a funny sum of 500 bucks!
It`s easy to start , just click this link http://qyvykixi.lookseekpages.com/qytudem.html
and go! Let`s take this option together to get rid of nastiness of the life
Hello !.
You re, I guess , probably curious to know how one can collect a huge starting capital .
There is no initial capital needed You may start to receive yields with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.
AimTrust is what you haven`t ever dreamt of such a chance to become rich
The firm incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.
Its head office is in Panama with structures around the world.
Do you want to become an affluent person?
That`s your chance That`s what you desire!
I feel good, I began to take up real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to choose a proper companion who uses your funds in a right way - that`s AimTrust!.
I make 2G daily, and my first deposit was 1 grand only!
It`s easy to join , just click this link http://ifyjivev.the-best-free-web-hosting.com/nubyly.html
and go! Let`s take this option together to become rich
Hello !.
You may , probably very interested to know how one can reach 2000 per day of income .
There is no initial capital needed You may commense to receive yields with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.
AimTrust is what you haven`t ever dreamt of such a chance to become rich
The company incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.
It is based in Panama with offices around the world.
Do you want to become a happy investor?
That`s your chance That`s what you desire!
I`m happy and lucky, I began to get real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to select a correct companion utilizes your savings in a right way - that`s AimTrust!.
I earn US$2,000 per day, and my first investment was 500 dollars only!
It`s easy to start , just click this link http://nekibiwyri.the-best-free-web-hosting.com/atutyf.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take our chance together to get rid of nastiness of the life
Good day, sun shines!
There have been times of hardship when I felt unhappy missing knowledge about opportunities of getting high yields on investments. I was a dump and downright pessimistic person.
I have never imagined that there weren't any need in big starting capital.
Now, I feel good, I begin take up real income.
It gets down to select a proper partner who utilizes your money in a right way - that is incorporate it in real business, and shares the income with me.
You may ask, if there are such firms? I have to answer the truth, YES, there are. Please get to know about one of them:
http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]
Post a Comment