Sunday, November 18, 2007

Thomas Friedman has a new idea

Pressure Iran.

Channeling Dick Cheney


No really. He says this is a new idea.

Our problem in Iran, says Friedman: we haven't used Dick Cheney enough to leverage.

Whew. That explains four years of a failed policy of pressuring Iran to give up nukes.

I tell ya. Sometimes I wonder why Thomas Friedman is paid the big bucks. And then I read that little nugget of brilliance and I remember why: he knows how to sing with a chorus, even when the chorus is so clearly off-key.

Friedman sounds like one of the many guys I've worked with at the convenience store, the warehouse, the lawnmowing job, or any number of the variously intellectually stimulating jobs I've had in my life.

"Hey Bubba, what do we do about this problem we've been fuckin' up for 4 years?"

"Same goddamn thing.

"But that's what we did."

"Do it more."

"Thanks, Bubba."

Thanks, Tom. But given that Mohamed ElBaradei and the IAEA have delivered and your strategy has not, I think I'll defer to those who get results. Thanks anyway.

No comments: