Thursday, February 07, 2008

The Book of Love Part Deux

That Peter Gabriel cover of the Book of Love has been in my head, now, all week. It's gorgeous, if you've not heard it.

It also happens to been originally written and performed, it turns out, by Stephen Merrit and the Magnetic Fields.

I love highlighting less-well-known singers or bands who deserve recogition for the music they write and perform. Dar Williams, a gorgeous folk artist, is one of my favorites for this purpose. Jamie Cullum is a really exciting jazz singer and performer. Patti Griffin is a folk singer who wrote and sang the original version of the Dixie Chicks' Top of the World, both versions being brilliant, if you ever get a chance. Aesop Rock is a recent hip hop artist with a lot of potential who I like (for fun more than for meaning). There's a million of them, really.

But this song really bowled me over. I love the Peter Gabriel version. But the Magnetic Fields version is really authentic and terrific. If e.e. cummings writes a love poem, I want to hear e.e. cummings deliver it, if I can. He's the one who felt what's being said, after all. And if Stephen Merrit writes the Book of Love, and I want to hear him sing what he felt.

Enjoy.

No comments: