Saturday, August 02, 2008

Our choice

It's ironic. Watching this ad -



- and this ad -



- led me randomly to this ad -



The third is definitely the most inspired of the three.

But it rings hollow these days.

You can't talk about not being as divided as our politics suggests, about being one people and being one nation while you engage in divisive politics.

And the real problem, in this political moment, is that leading America as a united nation and as a united people, no matter what the cynics say, really is important.

Franklin Roosevelt, Dwight Eisenhower, Jack Kennedy, and Ronald Reagan all had their many, many flaws. None of them were infallible. All of them made very serious mistakes of policy and power.

But despite their often grave errors of judgment, one thing all of these Presidents have in common is that they led with a more genuine commitment to a united America and with a sincere concern for our common humanity, flaws and all.

The same cannot be said of all Americans or all American political leaders, or of all people or all political leaders anywhere. In fact, it can be said of all too few of us, really, honestly.

But if America does not have an option of a political leader who is more genuinely committed to all Americans and all people, generally, there is no possible way that he or she or America, herself, can claim to lead any other American or any other citizen anywhere.

People can only follow leaders who are genuinely committed to their interests.

And if America cannot offer up a candidate who is genuinely committed in such a way then she will suffer for as long as that is the case and there is no possible way that she can claim to lead the world.

Americans, especially Barack Obama and John McCain will have to make a choice, this election.

They will have to choose to either lead others, Americans and people around the world, with a genuine commitment to them and their lives and interests. Or they will have to learn to live without the world looking to them for leadership and her President will have to learn to live without Americans looking to him or her for direction.

Power or leadership. That is the fundamental choice we face this election. It is abundantly clear to me that we cannot have both, at this point. Not really. If we choose the first, the second will be a charade, always, until we choose differently. And, at this point in our history, noone is going to pretend otherwise until we have real leadership. Power is an inherent part of authority. But abusing that authority and rationalizing the abuse of power, as America has and continues to do, during this period, has consequences. Namely, it engenders the kind of mistrust that Americans feel in all branches of its government, right now.

The same will be true of America's relationship with the world. If America chooses to rationalize power this election, the world will continue in the direction it has already been taking: looking elsewhere than America for leadership. If America chooses more genuine leadership, we can offer a path that just might make some of the kinds of course corrections that America and the world needs given the challenges we face, namely corrections that more honestly expand freedom and democracy.

But continuing to rationalize power will not be confused with leadership for long. And this election and its very disappointing start illustrates that point well.

The fact is that America and the world are not inspired by a Karl Rove or a James Carville. They are not inspired by power-mongers and manipulators.

They are and will only be inspired by people who are more genuine leaders.

These two men were our best options from each party, I think, for all of my disagreements with them.

But if they cannot choose to lead by example and inspire a commitment of a united America to common cause, America and the world will just have to learn to live without such leadership for four years and see what that world is like until we can choose differently.

I would have thought that eight years of this ugliness would have been enough. And the eight years previous are too low a standard, at this point.

So the question for us is: will we choose more genuine leadership or not. And, if not, will we take responsibility when we deal with the consequences of that choice for another four years.

That is the choice before us, this election. It is a choice for Barack Obama. It is a choice for John McCain. And it is a choice for the American people.

And when all the dust clears, all of us will be responsible for that choice, no matter our protestations, our attempts to shift blame, and our excuses to the contrary.

It is the most important choice America has faced in the 21st century, thusfar, I think. May we choose wisely.

4 comments:

GrEaT sAtAn'S gIrLfRiEnD said...

A choice between power and leadership. Best bottom line seen yet this year Ben!

Anonymous said...

My dislike for Obama grows a wee bit every day.

My dislike for McCain grows much faster and could easily develop into an all-consuming hate.

By November, this will not be a power vs. leadership decision for me.

This will be a "sort of lame-ass" vs. "complete piece of subhuman shit contest".

I will defer to "sort of lame-ass".

You know those dummies who crawl out of the woodwork every four years who claim they'll pack up and leave the USofA if "Candidate X" wins the election?

I could become one of those guys if it looks like the complete piece of subhuman shit ends up looking like he has a chance of winning. Not just because he's an exemplar of all that is sick and wrong, but also because it would mean that the other guy descended so far into lame-assery that he couldn't beat the POS.

Later,
CDB

Ben Sutherland said...

Courtney,

To the extent that we take seriously the limited role that power can and should play in a free world, we'll be in good shape. To the extent that we abuse it and manipulate for our own selfish ends, we will deal with consequences, from now until eternity, that we do not like. It's the long story of humanity. I just hope we get that figured out sooner rather than later.

Ben

Ben Sutherland said...

Carson,

John McCain is a decent man, Carson. So is Obama. They're also shitheads often, too. And this election is definitely bearing that out. I'm not as sold on Obama's goodness like you are, Carson, or on John McCain's evil factor. To the extent that they both abuse power, which I think they are both guity of - and the slew of negative bullshit in lieu of an engaged and substantive debate and discussion as a proverbial muscle over honest thought is a function of that and something McCain is more guilty of, as late, I agree - they are both shitheads, Carson.

And I have zero interest in choosing between shitheads anymore and pretending that, somehow if one is just a little less shitty than the other than somehow that makes up for it all.

And besides the fact that I don't see this race as the clear brightline that you seem to see.

I have zero partisan axes to grind anymore. Decency should prevail. Shittiness should and is dealing with its own consequences.

And if both the candidates want the world to work out better for them, I would strongly suggest that they choose more decency and less shittiness.

And when they don't and they don't make any effort to make amends for their shittiness, they should not come crying to me about how the world is unfair to them when they are shitty.

I know this lesson from experience, sadly. And it is a fact of life, I think, that is inescapable.

If Obama really is the better man, I want to see that brightline so bright and clear that I don't have to guess about the matter, anymore.

But the truth is that I want the same from John McCain. And I want the same from every single candidate to run for political office, in the future (I want it from every person, is the truth).

And I no longer want anyone to ever have the excuse ever again that people just could not tell that I was just slightly less shitty than those competing with me for the job.

Be so good that there is no ambiguity telling the difference and that won't be a problem. I don't expect perfection. But neither will I settle for people pretending to be more reasonably honest than they are willing to be because they just can't get over the notion that the pursuit of power can rationalize whatever shittiness they have to offer rather than the more honest and sensible notion that because power is so important, therefore it is more important to be more honest rather than more manipulative and dishonest.

Manipulation and dishonesty have their own consequences. And if political candidates, like everyone else, do not like that, then perhaps they should stop being so manipulative and dishonest.

Just a thought.

We really are better off being more decent and honest. And bullshitting our way around this one has emboldened the hand of repressive forces since the beginning of humanity. I am tired of that bullshit. I want it to end. And the best way to end it, I think, is to just be honest about its consequences until people wise up, myself included. Myself especially.

Carson, we should do dinner sometime or catch a game before the Royals end this disastrous season. Or even just a movie. I'll give you a call as soon as I get some time, dude.

Talk soon.

Ben